Sunday, May 10, 2009

Tribute to my Mom.

This picture of my parents was taken in 1982 for their church picture album. I am so happy that they gave each of their kids a picture of them. My mother passed away in January of 1983 of Ovarian Cancer. She was a very loving, kind and gentle person and rarely raised her voice. She was not very demonstrative but we all knew that she loved us and prayed constantly for us. Her motto was "If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all." When she was in her early 40's my Dad felt that his 7 children would have a better future in Canada than in Holland which may or may not be true. We arrived in Canada by boat on July 17th, 1956. I was almost 7 and the 2nd youngest. We ranged in age from 2 - 14. My poor Mom was sick almost the entire time on that long 9 day journey across the ocean.




To this day, I still miss my Mom and wish she could have lived a little longer than she did. She was barely 69 years old when she passed away. She did not live long enough to see 5 of her grandchildren. All her grandchildren called her Oma. My children were born in 1975 and 1977 so they were able to spend lots of time with her. We did not live very far from Mom and Dad so spent a lot of Sundays at their house. She looked after my eldest Janice, when I was in the hospital after giving birth to Mike. Janice lived at their house for 10 long days but my Mom loved every minute of it. Mom loved children and especially her grandchildren.

Happy Mother's Day Mom. I love you and miss you!






Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

coldwaters2 said...

This is such a heart felt warm and loving tribute they look such a wonderful couple enjoy your memories.

Hugs
Lorraine x

Steph said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom. It amazes me how much one person can affect your life forever, even when they are no longer with us. Hold on to your memories and know that she is sitting with you now. Happy Mothers Day:)

Riet said...

Wowww Oma,what beautiful.

Hugs Riet.x

Stef H said...

What a lovely picture and what a beautiful tribute. My mom died in 1975 of pancreatic cancer at age 52 and I miss her terribly. This is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Hugs,

Carla Harrah said...

Such a wonderful tribute. May God bless you on this special day of days.

akkina van steen said...

Hello Oma
I have something on my blog for you, enjoy it

Wellnifty said...

A Lovely tribute to your Mum, photo's and memories are so precious

Chris x

Krista Ritskes said...

Thanks for a bit more insight into my Oma. I'm making an album for my parents for their 35th anniversary. Seeing this photo reminds me that I wanted to ask you if you had any stories you remember from their dating, engaged and early marriage days. I want to add some to the album. Thanks!