Monday, January 12, 2009

Sick day

I was diagnosed with Thrush on Friday. I have a cold which started last week and on Thurs. night I could not get to sleep as my throat was extremely sore. I finally caved in and took some Buckley's Mixture night time cold pills. I slept then, but when I woke up, my throat was still very sore. I was sure that I had strep throat. I tried to get an appt. to see my family doctor but he was booked solid. I went to a walk in clinic and the doctor there looked at my throat, listened to my chest, checked my ears and then told me my chest was clear, my glands were not swollen but there were white spots on the back of my tongue and at the top of my throat. She told me I had Thrush. I have never had Thrush so was very surprised to hear that. She wrote out a prescription for a liquid medication and she told me to take 40 ml. 4x/day. I have to swish it around my mouth and then spit it out but she also said I could swallow it as well after swishing for 30 seconds. She also gave me a pain killing mouth wash that I gargle and then spit out. I was pretty miserable all weekend with pain, fever and generally just feeling like crap. I decided to stay home at least one more day to give the medicine a chance to work and to get some rest.

I had noticed on Wed. and Thurs. that my tongue was sore especially the back of my tongue and also around the edge of the front of my tongue and thought I might be getting a canker sore. Strep throat occurs when the natural balance between yeasts and other bacteria is disturbed and which causes fungus to grow. Oral Thrush is very common amongst babies and nursing babies can pass it on to their mother's nipples. Another form of this infection can be found in other parts of the body as well including the vagina and it causes vaginitis more commonly known as a yeast infection. This infection also causes diaper rash.

A good preventative food to eat to maintain an even balance is all natural unsweetened yogurt which contains acidophilus which protects against the invasion of harmful bacteria and yeast.

I feel a lot better today than I did on the weekend and am looking forward to going back to work tomorrow.

No comments: